12.04.2012

Men in scarfs: to wrap or not to wrap?



There comes a time in a mans life where he must determine if a certain neck warming accessory is worth the label that comes with it. To wrap or not to wrap? effeminate and chick repelling? Believe it or not, the majority of men in today's society contemplate that very question all over the globe. Where as sporting a scarf in mid day might be acceptable in the New York scene, it is still highly frowned upon in small midwestern towns who clutch onto conservative morals. Can't a guy just be warm?


Just the other day I decided to take a stroll to the local market center (sporting a manscarf) to 
purchase a smoothie to keep my daily addiction at bay. Subsequently, I found myself a victim of prejudice as a group of dudes called out slurs such as "fag" and "queer". Now, being a slave for fashion my entire life I was use to this, so please don't pity me as I held my own just fine. It wasn't until after the incident I realized that this couldn't of been the only one in the world, this shit probably happens all over. The rest of my ensemble was rather simple and masculine, A black tee from Target, cargo jacket and black skinny jeans. The scarf was the quarry and ultimately what caved the group into slurring douche bag comments, it had to be. Men being tormented for their warm, cozy, winter accessory wearing decision is getting old. This is 2012 not 1912!!!!!

With the controversial notions aside, let's focus our attention on the particular pieces and the "how-to-style" while upholding a certain masculinity. Take image 1 for example, a man on the go sporting a perfectly pressed suit and atop, a smaller textured scarf pulled around in what I like to call "the knot". By adding contrasting fabrics, darker hues and an effortless "unkept" vibe, it was a smart decision to say the least. Essentially, formal with edge. 

Now ladies, try to keep breathing as we move onto image 2 featuring glee front runner Darren Criss. This scarf-ing method is the simplest of them all, I call it "just let that shit hang man". Squinting your eyes to it's max potential you'll find Darren is wearing a red tie most likely accompanied by a V-neck jumper (Just a speculation). A subtle matching game took place as the red stripes parallel the tie earning a well deserved golf clap. A formation any man shouldn't be afraid to try. I mean, this guy plays gay on the show, then wears this in public and is still fearless. balls man,
balls.

Coming to a close, I leave you with a few more visual neck warming inspirations. Ultimately the fine line of what is dapperly metro and "feminine" is starting to blur leaving preconceived slurs to be swept under the rug. I mean c'mon, look at at Joe Jonas, he's clutching a bulldog whilst sporting a greige scarf most likely purchased at american apparel...oodles of girls ogle him as well as their moms. The times are changing people, let men sport those suckers. 


Images: Various Pintrest sites



GALLA




34 comments:

  1. love this kind of posts from you, adam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting and funny ! LOOOOVED your commment about Darren Criss "Now ladies, try to keep breathing as we move onto image 2 featuring glee front runner Darren Criss"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree with you! Very nice post! O/

    ReplyDelete
  4. adam use this trend!
    xxxx
    fran

    NEW LOOK: BLUE AND BLACK FORMAL LOOK
    http://www.showroomdegarde.blogspot.com.es/2012/12/navy-blue-and-black-1000-followers.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is probably one the funniest/true/ articles ever. Don't listen to those idiots Adam! You rock those man-scarves!

    XOXO

    EK

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is sooo relatable! I know I've had my fair share of slurs and looks from other guys, and some girls, over a scarf, skinny jeans, or even the fact that I care what I'm wearing. You'll have that in every small midwestern town. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad you relate, but not glad you have to endure the slur as well. sucks but our necks are warmer, whatever.

      Delete
  7. European men have been wearing scarves forever and still look very masculine and sexy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is the exact reason why I love europe and always have. the open-mindedness is refreshing.

      Delete
    2. Still, the rise of an anti-muslim, gay-bashing, negro-hating far-right extremism is a real issue in Europe.
      Only in some Scandinavian countries will you be able to actually feel a proper acceptance.
      The grass looks always greener is someone else's yard.

      Delete
    3. Thank you for your input william. really interesting point you bring up there, I completely agree. I don't think the hatred will ever be abolished for the minorities because being different isn't 'okay' in others eyes. it's just unfortunate that fashionable men have to fall victim to being called "fag" for having a voice via style. the times are changing though, slowly but surely.

      Delete
    4. You couldn't be more right.
      Calling someone (fashionable or not) "a faggot", whatever the reason may be, is more than unfortunate. It is incredibly moronic and will never make any sense.
      Anyway, sorry for the diversion, back to the original story. Thank you.

      Delete
  8. wrap!

    http://www.styleandshades.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Suzanne, in Europe it's not really topic to discuss. If it's cold - you wear scarf, no matter what gender you are.
    I honestly never saw anything feminine about guys wearing scarves, I actually love to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. NEW POST LOOK DEL DIA http://phemarpe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your blog Adam, priceless clothing inspiration, I keep checking back every day as I also am "a slave for fashion" :)

    Very true Jovana, here in Stockholm scarves aren't considered to be an overly feminine piece of clothing at all during the winter, the same goes for well fitted jeans/pants and leather boots (for men ofc :)

    The great thing abt ur blog Adam is that you aren't overdoing it, you dress just right, thats what makes it such a great inspiration :)

    /Zach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for the kind words! I'm blushing underneath this manscarf

      Delete
  12. who cares whether morons think someone looks gay....they are idiots and always will be. In the meantime, I'll be gay, fashionable and rich.....fuck 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  13. for me - wrap, really like it that way :)

    http://franchemeetsfashion.blogspot.cz/

    ReplyDelete
  14. there should be more post like this

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love scarves so much and it's very masculine!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your blog Adam !

    New post on my blog, check it out : http://www.thestilettoholic.com/2012/12/05/white-in-winter/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love scarfs ;) like this post ;)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. If you didn't have a scarf in Ireland, you actually would die of the cold!! I think Western European countries are a little bit more open to different styles and fashion than America, just an observation.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely inspirations !
    I like your stlyle
    I'm following you now!

    Iván

    http://www.thetrendysurfer.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Agreeing with all the comments above about Europe! I live in the UK and lots of guys wear scarves, snoods and even deerstalkers and bobble hats with Christmas motifs - and personally I find it adorable.

    I'm glad to see those assholes aren't dragging you down ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. christmas motifs!? how fun and appropriate for the season! a sudden surge of inspiration has stricken me...maybe a post soon ;)

      Delete
  21. I had to laugh when I read this.. and I absolutely agree; manscarves are hot! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. You preach it Adam! I think it's cute when guys wear scarves..I find nothing feminine about it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Have we not seen the popularity of snoods skyrocket. I'd skip the wrapping all together, and along the way, find a few fighting words for those guys.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This types of posts something I want specially in weekends.Really a nice manageable blog.I like and truly appreciate the work of your's.Good work.

    ReplyDelete